The SABR- Dodgers

The blog that helps you out with understanding the always interesting organization in the Los Angeles Dodgers. Feel free to vent, moan, and give advice to other bloggers.

Monday, December 26, 2005

XBP

Bored out of my mind when I woke up this morning, I decided to think up some statistics to play around with. After five minutes of brain-storming, I came up with Net Power, which I believed was a sexy-enough name. The formula was Total-Bases/At-Bats. Net Power was nixed because it is actually a little thing called Slugging Percentage! I still wanted a stat that would reward hitters who hit a lot of extra-base hits instead of stats that reward slap/single hitters.

The result was a stat called Extra-Base Percentage, abbreviated XBP (because X is cooler than E, and that is science).

Formula: (2B+3B+HR)/AB

Purpose: If Bob can hit 80 Extra-Base Hits in 500 ABs, he is going to provide more offense for his team than Rex, who can hit 55 Extra-Base Hits in the same 500 ABs.

I am going to be testing XBP out over the course of the season, just to see if it gives accurate information on a player's performance.

Please notify me if, in fact, this stat has already been coined.

7 Comments:

  • At 9:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This is perhaps not as useful as Isolated Power (SLG-AVG).

    The only thing I can think of that would make the idea you're exploring more relevant than ISOP is to normalize triples (which are weighted as x3) into doubles (weighted x3) since triples are essentially a measure of either speed or a misplay in the outfield.

     
  • At 9:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    crap. doubles weighted x2. Sorry.

     
  • At 8:19 AM, Blogger Jack said…

    I think I am getting lost in your words...

    I am not weighing triples as x3, I am just using 3B to abbreviate triples, and the same goes for doubles. I am weighing doubles and triples exactly the same, because all this stat does is tell you how many extra-base hits a hitter has in a season.

     
  • At 9:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yeah, in retrospect my comment is not clear. i know that you're not weighting anything. My point is that your XBP would show a theoretical player X with 30 doubles and 10 hr at the same XBP as a player y with 20 hr and 20 doubles. And while I know you'd never recommend looking at XBP in lieu of other stats, I don't see much value in it.

    My comment about doubles and triples is actually stupid, since I forgot that Isolated Power already normalized triples into doubles. I apologize for that error.

    What might be cool and useful is to look at means, medians, and standard deviations among commonly used stats across players, positions, and leagues and create a sort of 'variance index,' reported similar to ERA+ and OPS+, ie a VAR+ stat of 100 means exactly average, 120 is less variable (more consistent) than average, and do this for individual players' rate stats.

     
  • At 10:09 AM, Blogger Jack said…

    Oh, okay.

    Good point with the 20 HRs, 20 2Bs.

     
  • At 10:49 AM, Blogger Jack said…

    I could probably just weigh Homeruns higher than doubles and triples, but keep doubles and triples the same.

     
  • At 2:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi! Just want to say what a nice site. Bye, see you soon.
    »

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home